Reminder: "Paper Past, Digital Future" Steering by Standards Vide oconference Coming Soon

Lytle,Amy lytlea at oclc.org
Thu May 2 13:04:47 EDT 2002

[Widely cross-posted with apologies.  Please redistribute as appropriate.
Thank you!]

The OCLC Institute announces the third videoconference in its "Steering by
Standards" series:  "Paper Past, Digital Future: Managing Metadata Standards
in Transition," May 29, 2002, 12:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. EDT.

Why do we need to augment or replace our "tried and true" cataloging
standards?  Can multiple standards coexist in a single catalog?  Join your
colleagues, both local and across North America, to discuss the
proliferation of information standards competing for our attention in
today's blended world of paper-based and digital information.  Barbara
Tillett, Library of Congress, will be joined by Liz Bishoff, Colorado
Digitization Project, and Sam Dempsey, Informata.com/Baker & Taylor, to
discuss the need for and best ways to integrate standards such as Dublin
Core, EAD, TEI, and ONIX into existing catalogs.  Presentations, panel
discussion and the opportunity for questions and comments from the
participants will ensure a lively and informative broadcast.

Register your site as a satellite-downlink location by clicking on
<http://www.oclc.org/institute/events/sbs.htm>.  Cost for this event is
$350.00 per site.  Contact Amy Lytle for details on purchasing tapes of the
entire series.

For questions or comments, contact Amy Lytle, OCLC Institute at
lytlea at oclc.org or via phone at 800-848-8578 x 5212.