internet filtering problem

Gillian Wiseman gwiseman at ci.waco.tx.us
Wed May 1 12:01:52 EDT 2002

I'm searching for a very quick solution to a problem that has developed here
at our library.

Our four public access children's computers, through an accidental failure
to renew a subscription, are temporarily unfiltered. We will have our
regular filtering product back soon, but my boss wants me to find a simple
short-term emergency solution to the unfiltered access.

I'm sure there must be something I can do, but I'm not up on
security/filtering features of browsers. Even restricting the browser (we
are using IE 5.0 with Windows NT) to a limited range of websites would be
okay for the few days we anticipate the problem lasting.

If anyone has some advice to offer me I'd really appreciate it. I don't want
to get into filtering issues (I probably agree!), just solve this temporary
problem. I'm much more used to dealing with databases and teaching classes
than solving this sort of problem.

Gillian Wiseman
Electronic Resources Librarian
Waco-McLennan County Library