[WEB4LIB] RE: FBI to monitor libraries

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri May 31 09:55:28 EDT 2002

I think libraries need to think about their role in defining the
expectation of privacy on public computers. We have privacy laws that
cover patron records mainly because libraries and privacy advocates pushed
for them and vociferously fight attempts to water them down. If we take
the lead in:

1) Pushing to extend these laws to cover public computer use

2) Creating the expectation of privacy by stating in policy and in action
that individual use will not be monitored. If the library has a public
policy that it will treat public computer use like it treats the checking
out of print and related materials, that creates a whole new situation for
the judges to consider.

Now, there will be some who will argue that it's not good policy to create
such an expectation. I can also see many issues that need to be discussed
in relation to this. But libraries need to take the lead in moving this
debate forward. If we don't, the politicians are going to decide for us.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI