[WEB4LIB] Analyzing OPAC logs

Margaret Gaffney Margaret.Gaffney at vuw.ac.nz
Wed May 29 17:35:31 EDT 2002

> I am planning to start a detailed analysis of our logs, which
> have been accumulating for more than six months since we
> launched a new Web PAC.
> A concrete point that puzzles me a bit (not exactly
> library-related): what concrete information can you extract
> form the list of IP numbers (the REMOTE_ADDR variable)? Does
> the count of different IP numbers mean anything? Is there any
> geographical information you can extract from them?

If you have reverse DNS lookups enabled, you can extract a fair amount
of information, including a general idea of where your users are coming
from (country, organisation).  Take a look at some log analyser sample
reports to see the kinds of things you can find out.  A basic example is
here: http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/webstats/stats.html#dom

cheers
--
Margaret Gaffney, Web Administrator
Victoria University of Wellington Library