[WEB4LIB] RE:do what's right -- was - RE: The word "listserv" copyrighted?

GRAY, PAUL PAUL.GRAY at tccd.net
Tue May 28 18:16:51 EDT 2002

>> What IS this world coming to.
>>
>> PHG

>A mistake I see sometimes is when people assume that the mock
>sentiments you express above are based on a 'Free Software'
>point of view.  Nothing could be further from the truth.
>
>In fact Free Software, based as it is on the GNU Public License
>(GPL) license, uses the mechanisms of copyright to ensure that
>software remains free -- hence the term 'copyleft' for GPL'd
>software.
>
>It is software *patents*, and not copyright issues, that
>represent a major threat to the future of Free Software (and
>Software Freedom :)
>
>My $0.02,
>Raymond
>--
>"You deserve to be able to cooperate openly and freely with other
>people who use software.  You deserve free software."
> -Richard M. Stallman, Free Software Foundation, http://www.fsf.org

hey --
If someone wants to create something - whether it is software or music or whatever - and place it in the public domain for the good of humanity or just because they want to or for whatever reason -- that is GREAT!!
They should be commended -
May their tribe increase many fold ---

BUT -- I RESENT GREATLY and am very troubled by the attitude that just because I CAN access something that I have a RIGHT to -- and that no one has the right to restrict or even profit from my access and use of anything.

It has been accepted for HUNDREDS of years that people who invest time and talent into creating something have the right to profit from it and to have a say so into how it is used. And that right is theirs UNLESS they CHOOSE to relenquish it.  The fact that the computer makes it easy to circumvent this does not make it right.

Sorry -- but this is a hot button issue for me --
We have raised at least a couple of generations now of folks with no concern beyond themselves and a DEMAND for their own rights -- often where no such right exists -- and a total disregard for the rights of anyone else.

Yes - my comments were made with what I hoped was clear - and relatively good natured sarcasm.
But I deal with enough people to know that MANY actually HOLD those attitudes - and that troubles me about the state of our society --

I'm sorry - but WANTING something - and DESERVING it  -- and having a RIGHT to it -- are three VERY different things --- if they weren't -- I would be driving a tricked out maroon Prowler - instead of a base model Tracker :-)

Opinions are my own -- NOT to be construed as those of my employer  --

PHG
Hurst, TX