[WEB4LIB] Re: Re: Google Answers questions

Robert Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Sun May 26 11:36:56 EDT 2002

"Karen G. Schneider" wrote:
> Absolutely.  But the availability and quality of Internet services and
> the support for public library services do not necessarily have a causal
> relationship.  We shouldn't assume they're voting for (or care about)
> reference services, online or otherwise.  There's nothing tragic about
> that, either.

You're right, Karen.  We cannot assume anything.  For relatively small libraries it might be easier to tell who supports what, since many voters in those libraries tend to be frequent patrons, but, without actively soliciting feedback, larger libraries may find it very difficult to determine what currently attracts patrons and what new resources/services are desired.  Here's where I think many libraries can improve the dialogue with their service populations and further tailor online/in-house collections and services to what communities want and need.

Whatever patrons support, even if it's just the idea of having a library, their support is critical.  Sustaining and expanding support wherever possible -- really, just through consistently good service -- is also essential.  Excellent reference services and resources, on and beyond the web, can only help to strengthen a library's cause and win more supporters down the road.

Robert Tiess