[WEB4LIB] RE: Information Literacy (was Jargon...which was Usabil

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Fri May 17 16:59:40 EDT 2002

At 01:23 PM 5/17/2002 -0700, Bill Drew wrote:
>I am going to play the devil's advocate here.  Why should we use jargon
>written for librarians by librarians?  The users could really care less
>about such things.  I am not talking about dumbing down.  that is a
>different issue entirely.

I agree with the devil here.  Many librarians who I've talked to would like
to make the site "an instructional opportunity".   They're not at all
comfortable putting things in terms the students use themselves or would
understand.  In fact, the very idea that we should actually cater to what
the students _want_ is a foreign notion --- since everyone knows students
don't have a clue.  As far as I know, the students _want_ to hang out on
the beach -- an option of course which the library currently doesn't
supply.  What the students want from us -- and generally what they've been
sent by their instructors to get -- is three articles and a book or two in
order to complete an assignment.  There's no "dumbing down" to my mind in
fulfilling this need in terms the students can understand.

But still the counter-argument rages.  After a while, my mind tends to
wander and I start seeing visions of Steve Krug's book dancing around the
light fixtures.

LEO

Leo Robert Klein                                Library Web Coordinator
office :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: http://newman.baruch.cuny.edu
radio station ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: http://patachon.com/radio