[WEB4LIB] RE: Information Literacy (was Jargon...which was Usabil

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri May 17 16:45:02 EDT 2002

At 04:25 PM 5/17/2002, Drew, Bill wrote:
>I am going to play the devil's advocate here.  Why should we use jargon
>written for librarians by librarians?  The users could really care less
>about such things.  I am not talking about dumbing down.  that is a
>different issue entirely.

To the best of my knowledge, no field has developed jargon just for the
sake of obfuscation.  Jargon is a technical vocabulary that communicates
specific meanings within a specific field.  For any example of library
jargon you can point to, some librarian will explain why that term is
precise and correct, and why more general terminology fails to communicate
some aspect of the original term.

Perhaps the question to ask is, at what points in the delivery of library
services is it necessary for the user to understand our specific
terminology?  And, if they haven't ever been exposed to that terminology
before, how much effort will it be to explain it to them at that point?

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu