Information Literacy (was Jargon...which was Usability)

Blake Carver carver.50 at osu.edu
Fri May 17 16:10:30 EDT 2002

To move this thread a bit, has anyone thought about the concept of
information literacy and applied that to library web site design?
I am asking about the web site as an information literacy tool, not
teaching information literacy on the web, but the site teaching purposely
through how it was designed.

Most patrons are unwilling or unable to sit through any type of
instruction, unless they are forced to, and making a site usable helps to
make it easier for that majority, but maybe building a site that teaches
might be something to consider.

So can we design a site that leads the users, and provides definitions or
help as it goes? Can the instruction and the site content be transparently
combined? I think so.

I've seen people allude to it already already in this thread. You can use
mouse overs, tool tips, short descriptions, and more, to provide
definitions, examples and descriptions of jargon, and at the same time
still use that jargon. Somehow we need to make the site smarter to
anticipate the questions people will have as they move through it.

It's something I'm just beginning to think about here, and I'd love to hear
what anyone else thinks.

Blake Carver
Web Librarian
The Ohio State University Libraries