library jargon - usability testing

Ellen Andes EAndes at rbc.edu
Fri May 17 11:44:12 EDT 2002

In preparation for a redo of our Web site, I did some preference testing and
some card sorting with students (we are a two year junior college).  The
terms databases and tutorial were terms that were not well understood.

Students preferred the "find a book" etc. approach.

In terms of card sorting, I discovered that category titles such as "Library
Information,"  "Research Tools" and so on meant something different to each
student.  The items that they sorted into category groupings varied so much
that I am definitely going to move away from that sort of layout.

Students preferred lots of links on the home page and liked groupings by
type of material (ex. Find Journal Articles) rather than by categories like
"Research Tools."

I appreciated seeing the site by Bill Drew, since this seems to reflect many
of my own findings.

Ellen C. Andes
Reference/Circulation/Library Web Site
Richard Bland College