[WEB4LIB] RE: library jargon (was "Our usability test...")

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Fri May 17 10:29:58 EDT 2002

In the research I mentioned in an earlier post, we measured the type of terms our sample used in their groups.  About 25% used the action phrases you incorporated into your site.  We were very intrigued by this and considered seriously of using this method on our home page.  Space considerations precluded us from implementing this.

Regarding space issues, an early usability test focusing on design elements brought out these findings of our own clients (biomedical students & faculty):
1) Many don't even think about scrolling on a "gateway"-type page; they will scroll when a list is expected (i.e. search results, etc.).
2) Most don't like options hidden via drop-down lists, mouseovers, images, etc.
3) About half like the resources listed alphabetically and half like them ordered by groups.
4) Most understood that space was a limiting factor and accepted any type of grouping, as long as there were examples that adequately reflect the meaning of the group so that they knew what to expect when they clicked on "More" to get the full list of resources in that group.

We have gotten much praise and only a few negative comments (mostly about the font size) on our updated page: http://www3.utsouthwestern.edu/library/ .  We will be investigating more objective measures, such as search logs and usage of resources, to determine the more true impact of the changes.

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-1698
http://www.swmed.edu/library/

>>> "Drew, Bill" <drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU> 5/17/02 9:04:18 AM >>>
I would suggest you take a look at our website as Morrisville College
Library.  We eliminated much of the jargon this spring semester.  the URL
is: http://library.morrisville.edu .

Bill Drew
drewwe at morrisville.edu