[WEB4LIB] RE: Web Form and Access Database

Stephen R. Westman westman.2 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 26 20:11:01 EST 2002

Thomas Dowling wrote:

> >By all means, if you want to write code, try some of the "free" coding
> >environments and become a uber-programmer, but if you would rather just
> >have to learn a few more html like tags, then Cold Fusion works well.
>
> Many Cold Fusion users are justifiably satisfied with the program.  But
> it's a disservice to imply that all other web middleware technologies--or
> even "free" ones, whatever the quotes are about--necessarily require
> extensive programming skills. There are lots of good choices out there.

I agrtee whole-heartedly with Thomas.  We have been using php/MySQL
extensively for a wide range of applications (including an "Ask A
Librarian" application) for almost two years now.  I also agree that it does
not require a degree from Propellor Head U.  While it does assume you can do
a "if/else/then" or "while" loop, it doesn't require a whole lot more (and
with the kinds of libraries becoming available at phpclasses.org and
sourceforge.net, even that isn't always necessary).

However, just to set the record straight, the dichotomy between "free" and
ColdFusion is to some degree artificial.  There are versions of ColdFusion
Express (a "feature-limited" version of ColdFusion) available on the NT and
Linux platforms available at:

http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/trial/cf_server_express.html

I have tried an earlier version of the product (with Access, as it turns
out) with no problem.  While it may not have all of the bells and whistles
one might want, it certainly has enough "pep" to at least do prototyping
and, if one wants (and has a Web server where one can place the CF server
AND the Access database - CFE doesn't do remote ODBC), it just might work in
production.  There's even a (relatively inexpensive) "Teach Yourself
ColdFusion Express in 24 Hours" (customer rating 4.5 stars) at amazon.com  -
not a plug, just a report.  In any case, it seems to at least be worth a
look if you think you might be interested in going in that direction.

Stephen Westman
Digital Resources Systems Administrator
The Ohio State University Libraries
Columbus, OH 43210