[WEB4LIB] Web Form and Access Database

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Tue Mar 26 13:01:57 EST 2002

You should be able to use Zope [ http://www.zope.org ] with the ZJetDA odbc
adapter to connect to an MS Access Database.  If it doesn't have to be MS
Access you can also use PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, or other major database
servers.  With Zope you can roll your Ask a Librarian project into one
package that includes the ability to respond to the request by email, copy
the sender, and at the same time put that response into the database record
of the request that is being responded to.  Your total software cost can be
$0.00 and friendly extensive support is available via the Zope lists.  You
may also want to look at http://www.freezope.org .  It appears that
freezope.org offers free use of a Zope Server and maybe you can run a test
drive there or even mount your Ask a Librarian there using their Zope and
database.

Zope runs on Linux, Solaris, and Windows.   The source is freely available
if you want to compile it yourself.  If you decide to use Zope, I'll be glad
to send you info and source on how I have it set up at ASU.

>From Zope.org:

Download Zope now for free! Zope runs on almost all Unix computers and
Windows NT and 9x. Zope comes with everything you need to get up and running
including a built-in web server and search engine.
Note that Windows distributions of Zope have a .exe extension, as they come
with a standard Windows installer.
Binary distributions also include a bundled version of Python for use by
Zope. This means that you do not have to do anything to install Python on
your machine before using Zope, and the bundled Python included in Zope will
not affect any existing Python installations you may have in your deployment
environment

Using Zope with Amaya, Dreamweaver, and Other WYSIWYG Tools:
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Articles/ZPT3

see these URLs for Zope odbc database adapter info
http://www.zope.org/Members/jfarr/Products/ZJetDA

http://www.zope.org/Products/DA/ZODBCDA

http://www.zope.org/Members/haqa/ZDataQueryKit/news-1.0.0

Thomas