[WEB4LIB] Windows XP on Public Access PC's

Helfrich, Gair GHelfrich at acmail.aclink.org
Tue Mar 26 11:45:04 EST 2002

Jason,

We use a combination of Fortres and Deep Freeze on our public computers.
Deep Freeze has been a godsend. When Nimda hit in September every machine
that had Deep Freeze on it (properly installed--we had a few that had been
installed incorrectly) came through with flying colors.  No problems what so
ever. And when those lovely patrons leave up lots of porn, with those oh so
lovely pop-up windows that just keep coming no matter what we just restart
the machine. Deep Freeze takes care of everything and we haven't had to
spend ages trying to close all those windows.

Haven't tried the new Fortres on XP yet, as our only XP machines are staff
machines, but one of these days I'll give it a go.

Hope this helps,
Gair Helfrich

Gair Helfrich
PC/Network Support
Atlantic County Library
40 Farragut Avenue
Mays Landing, NJ 08330
609-625-2776 ext. 6313  Fax: 609-625-8143