(Usability testing)

TSmith2 at lcc.edu TSmith2 at lcc.edu
Tue Mar 26 10:08:20 EST 2002

Hi Thomas,

LCC Library is reaching the end of a 1.5 year process of redesigning our
existing library website based on user-centered-design (UCD).  We have a
redesign project website online which houses all of our documents used for
usability testing, results, meeting notes, prototypes, sketches etc. This
website is essentially a public display of what we knew about UCD when we
started & what we are learning as we go along.  Although our final design
will be somewhat constrained due to a newly required college-wide template,
the process materials are still valid. The only area still in development
on this site is the backlog of website usability research done during my
master's & during the design process - this will be uploaded in the next
couple months & also made into a paper.  Anyway, feel free to browse our
UCD project website at http://www.lansing.cc.mi.us/library/WITsite/
(And watch for our new website this summer!)

By the way, I recommend doing videotaped sessions of direct observations -
that way you get to observe nuances first-hand & also have a record of the
tests, should anyone ask you in the future about design decisions based on
those tests!  Also, if you train the videocamera on the computer screen
rather than your volunteer tester, you get  a better record of mouse
movements, with voice comments still recorderd - and volunteers are usually
happier that the camera's not really on them.
(Our usability testing videos are not on our project website, but I hope to
have sample clips up sometime before summer...)

Cheers - Trixi
Trixi B Smith, Web Librarian
Room 201Q, LCC Library
Technology & Learning Center (TLC)