[WEB4LIB] (Usability testing)

Blake Carver carver.50 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 21 16:29:19 EST 2002

Good Timing!
I just (literally this minute, no kidding) finished this draft of a
bibliography of library usability studies, it should be helpful.
The citations aren't exactly in any format, but they should get you
there.  The quotes I pulled out to help show what the studies found
specifically wrong with the sites they studied.
There have been alot of studies done now, I found the ones on this list
most useful for our upcoming redesign here at OSU.

-Blake Carver
Web Librarian
The Ohio State University Libraries
carver.50 at osu.edu
see also: www.lisnews.com

Please do not consider this a perfect, complete or accurate list. It's more
of a rough draft. If you can't find a source please let me know.

Discovering the user: Practical glance at usability testing
The Electric Library Oct 1999
"The users expect consistency"
"They don't know what a volume is, the don't know what a monograph is.
These are terms that mean nothing to the average person".
"
we do a lot of things that nobody knows we do. That points up the need
not only for usable systems but for public relations so that people know
you have that system."

Marketing Through Usability
Computers In Libraries Sep 1999
"people don't want to learn a new hobby, they want to complete a task."
"We all provide information services, and many of these services nowadays
are mediated through computers. Therefore, you need to make sure that the
tools you choose to facilitate these services are as usable as possible. A
usable service will reduce the time you spend teaching people how to use
the service, and therefore will provide the patron with more time for
analysis and synthesis. Consequently, it will reduce your costs as well as
your patron's. In turn, this will improve the patron's perception of the
library, and you will have more time to explore ways to improve other
library services."

Usability Testing Of World Wide Web Sites
Michael D. Levi (bls.gov)
"The purpose of most web sites is to attract users and distribute
information and products. Losing users because of poor design could be
catastrophic for a commercial venture"

The Impact of Information Architecture on Academic Web Site Usability
The electric Library October 1999
”
people do not come to the web for an experience they come for information."
"roughly 2/3 of users are looking for specific information"
"the organization of information, the labeling of concepts and the lack of
navigational aids clearly impacts the usability of this web site"

Web Redemption and The Promise of Usability
Online Magazine Nov-Dec 1999
"With any information-based intranet site, the homepage needs to announce
the site, conveying its depth and breadth."
"Above all, a usable intranet home page orients the user to the rest of the
site and clearly shows available pockets of information contained within it."
"Ideally a [homepage] design should provide users with a conceptual model
with which they can figure out what's on the site and how the rest of it
works."

An overview of usability for the study of users web-based information
retrieval behavior.
Journal of Education for Library & Information Science Ruth Palmquist
"For the most of the web's initial years, web sites were largely a source
for creative self-expression, and more often the novelty of the medium kept
users from being critical of the content encountered"
"one can hope just as an eventual structure evolved for the printed book,
that a standard or format for effective web design eventually will evolve"

Usability Testing and Libraries: The WSU Experience
Sharon Walnbridg
"They did have trouble with concepts-for example, what is in the catalog,
and what differentiates the catalog from the article index"
"
the typical user does not understand serials terminology, and cannot
locate information on current receipts. User do not understand how to limit
searches. They do not understand the various call number schemes
 Another
feature that escapes students understanding is cross-references: they don't
understand what they mean or what to do next."

Usability study of the MnLINK gateway
OCLC Systems & Services, Joan Roca
"novices and advanced beginners are focused on accomplishing immediate
tasks, and; they are not as interested in learning as in doing"
"only 1 % of the subjects indicated they would use the help button"
"
 in those instances where the gateway interface violated standard
conventions, subject performance decreased."
"subjects frequently did not understand library research terminology. The
majority of subjects could not distinguish between library catalogs and
databases, or between basic and advanced searches"
"subjects did not have well-developed mental models of library research."

A case study of the usability testing of the U of South FL's virtual
library interface design
Online Information review Maryellen Allen
""the administrators found that dew users were familiar with the term
"interlibrary loan" request, even though they were familiar with the
service itself"
"indeed 100% of test participants failed to negate successfully to the
proper location in response to the request "locate the links you would
click on to research journal or magazine articles".
 12 out of 12 chose
the link labeled e-journals rather than the proper "databases"
"
 the link for the online catalogue was changed from "WebLUIS" to "find a
book"
"it became increasingly obvious that plain, straightforward language almost
always produces better results than library jargon"

Handout given to me by someone
 From UNC Chapel Hill
"it is clear from comments that users do not make the distinctions that we
do between "resources", services, and library information. To them its all
library information."
"Participants didn't know what information they could expect to find under
circulation, borrowing services, interlibrary borrowing and lending and
borrowing from campus libraries were  confusing to them.
"they are unwilling to spend time browsing pages or reading a lot of text."
"library jargon defiantly a problem, e.g. e-journals, and library catalog
mean little or are incorrectly interpreted.

Usability testing in a library web site redesign project
Reference services review Susan McMullen
"users do not perceive the link "online databases and indexes" as the
resource to make when they are seeking periodical indexes"
"users are not interested in reading a research guide prior to doing research"
"participants remarked that the term database was unclear to them"
"users tend to scroll quickly through a page, to find highlighted links,
but do not read descriptions associated with them"

Usability testing at the U of AZ Library: How to let users in on the design
Information Technology and Libraries Ruth Dickstein
"catalog, index, resources, databases, and reference are meaningless to
many students."

Usability of the Academic Library Web Site: Implications for Design
College & Research Libraries Louise McGillis
"participants commented they had difficulties figuring out where to begin
and deciding which option to select for the library catalog"
"some participants also did not understand the concept of a journal article"
"In particular they could not differentiate easily between internet
resources and databases on the main page"
"The terminology was not meaningful to participants. When asked what was
the hardest part about completing the task, participants answered " not
knowing what heading to look under", "I wasn’t sure where to start", and
"Figuring out what the categories meant"
"more than 90% of the participants found the site to be well organized"
"the terminology used in menus was not meaningful despite the fact it is
standard in libraries"
"participants focused almost soly on the menu choices and not on the other
tools for accessing information on this site"
"
the researchers found the problems with standard library terminology
perplexing, particularly when that terminology is well established. Likely,
however, it has never been user tested; we make too many assumptions about
the extent of user knowledge"
"the significant issue that dominates the study's findings, however, is
that people did not know where to start"
"When people approach a web site with a specific problem, they often cannot
fir the problem into one of the options and do not have access to a human
being for guidance
"
"
people have information problems and cannot extrapolate from the list
which too / service is best suited to help with them. The web site must
guide users in the resolution of their problems"

Chauffeured by the user: Usability in the Electric Library
Information Technology Planning Jerilyn R.Veldof
"be consistent
"
"grouping resources and assigning concrete descriptive labels help
undergraduates to make more efficient navigation decisions"
"
 it was obvious that "The Catalog" meant nothing to many out our library
users"

Usability Testing of an Academic Library Web Site: A Case Study
Journal of Academic Librarianship Brenda Battleson
"for the non catalog research tasks, the ideal choice was the "Online
Resources" link, yet most students initially selected "libraries catalog".
There was obvious confusion with terminology. As well as a clear
misunderstanding of what the term "Online Resources" implied
"
"
they did not readily identify "Reference Resources" as a logical link to
begin exploration of a topic"

Usability Testing a Case Story
College and research Libraries Janet Chism
"Many users were so supremely confident in their searching that when they
do not find something, they immediately conclude that it is not owned by
the library"
"users often do not understand concepts and are unable to interpret correctly"
"users of the webpac do not understand serials, cannot identify them in a
browse display containing both books and serials, and cannot navigate
through complex serial information"
"clearly libraries need to do a better job of explaining  this, and the
OPACS must be more helpful in aiding users to find this important information"
"
better labeling is needed"
"it was unclear what the link "other library catalogs" meant"