screenshots of old search engines?

Avi Rappoport avi-list at searchtools.com
Fri Mar 8 13:58:02 EST 2002

Hi all,

I was suddenly asked to do a talk and am desperate for some
screenshots.  I'm the opening act for Larry Page at BAYCHI next week,
and plan to talk about the changes in search engines, from DIALOG and
Lexis/Nexis through the early days of web search engines to the
current ones, especially Google, which do a lot of server-side
processing to make useful stuff show up in the first 10 results.

So I'm looking for screenshots (in any format, I can convert them).
I've found some via image search and the Wayback Machine, but others
are proving elusive.  On my wish list:

- text-mode terminal displays with DIALOG or Nexis queries
    (preferably one of those long faceted searches) and text results
    listings (large clear shot would be great).

-  desktop GUIs for searching: I have some of these, but anything
    that's particularly amusing or pathetic in retrospect would be great.

- early Web search engine interfaces, such as the experimental ones like
    the AltaVista Java visualization (the only example I have is in French JPEG,
    which is OK but a bit hard to read).

- anything else you've seen that would address the question of functionality
    vs. interface.

I have ton of library search interfaces (funny how they're the best
documented thing in the world), but if you have something special,
that would be great.

I promise to post the slides from the talk on my web site and to let
you all know where it is.   If I get a lot of wonderful submissions,
I'll post a gallery.

Thanks a bunch!

Avi

--
Complete Guide to Search Engines for Web Sites and Intranets
    <http://www.searchtools.com>