[WEB4LIB] Re: another tangent to Re: Inline forms in CSS

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Mar 4 09:02:56 EST 2002

At 06:56 PM 3/3/2002, Charlie Irwin wrote:
>       I had not really been following this thread BUT...
>
>       The <noindex> tag is used to prevent search engines' spiders and 'bots
>from crawling a page. It is specified by the Robots Exclusion Protocol,
>according to Chris Sherman's and Gary Price's book "The Invisible Web".
>Therefore it can't really be classed as "proprietary/made up stuff" and is
>certainly not something invented by Atomz.

We may be talking at cross purposes.  The robot exclusion protocol at
<http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/exclusion.html> refers to a perfectly valid
META element along these lines:

   <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

It does not refer to a NOINDEX *element* along the lines described by Atomz:

   <noindex>
   </noindex>

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu