Virtual Reference Software Feature Checklist: Help Wanted

Stephen Coffman coffmanfyi at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 30 08:22:05 EST 2002

Hi, you all.

We're in the process of putting together a basic text on virtual reference services which will be published the American Library Association later this Fall.  The tentative title is A Virtual Reference Primer.

One of the key appendices of this work will be comprehensive list of core features offered by virtual reference systems in common use today.   I've put together a draft version of the Feature Checklist based on the years I've spent closely examining most of the popular packages on the market, plus information I've pulled together from over 20 RFPs and RFIs libraries have issued for virtual reference systems over the past couple of years.   However, I'm not sure I've got everything yet, and that's why I'm asking for your help.   Please have a look at the DRAFT Software Feature Checklist at:

http://alaeditions.virtualreference.net/  -warning, allow some time, it's over 30 pages with charts

Then please let me know if I've missed any features that are available in the software you use, or you are familiar with ... also, please let me know if there are any areas where you have questions ... which means I probably haven't described something clearly enough.  Don't worry about typos, missing words, etc because ALA has got wonderful people to help on that.  But I am very concerned that we cover all of the important features out there and that we explain this relatively complicated subject matter as clearly as possible.

Once I have all of your suggestions, comments and corrections back, I'll post a revised version of this on the Web, free for everybody to use.  The rest of A Virtual Reference Primer which will cover Designing Virtual Reference Systems, Operating Virtual Reference Systems, Marketing Virtual Reference Systems ... and lots of other good practical content compiled from many years in the virtual reference trenches ... will be available from the American Library Association's ALA Editions later this Fall.

I'm really looking forward to hearing from you all ... and thanks in advance for all of your help.

SC