[WEB4LIB] RE: Web Form and Access Database

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Wed Mar 27 14:06:46 EST 2002

Cold Fusion is very flexible and can be used for small and/or simple sites, as well as very large & complex sites.  The main advantage of CF is the CFML (Cold Fusion Markup Language) which makes programming much easier than Java, ASP, etc.

It is not cheap, but it's not terribly expensive either (I think it is around $3000 w/educational discount).  Plus there is that feature-limited free version...this will enable you to do the basics of selecting rows from a table and displaying them on a web page, inserting rows into a table, and updating tables.

There is a learning curve, but it is much more shallow than the above mentioned methods.

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-1698
http://www.swmed.edu/library/

>>> Ruth Harrison <Ruth.Harrison at sll.state.tx.us> 3/27/02 11:39:33 AM >>>

I don't know very much about Cold Fusion.  But I've been told that it
may be a bit much for my library.  We're very small and I've been told
that Cold Fusion is usually reserved for an extremely large enterprise,
like an academic library or a corporation.  Is that usually the case?

Ruth Harrison
Texas State Law Library
P O Box 12367
Austin TX 78711-2367