"search our site" stats

Blake Carver carver.50 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 25 13:42:18 EST 2002

A while back there was a bit of a discussion on the pros and cons of a
"search our site" search engine. At CIL in DC I noticed a couple of people
say that people don't seem to make the distinction between a "site search",
an "opac search" or a "database search", it's all just searching the
libraries web site to our users.
Has anyone else been keeping any kind of logs?

Based on our logs since December I greped out some interesting numbers.
This is based on terms with 4+ occurrences, which came out to about 200
terms. There were about 810 multiple terms total (i.e. terms that were
searched for more than once) out of  8700 total terms. There's a lot more
number crunching to be done here, but someone might find these preliminary
numbers interesting. I grouped them under subjects I came up with, just to
make it readable.

1. Specific Databases  - 1000+++ [I just gave up adding]
         "Medline", "lexus nexus", "psychlit"
2. Library services  - 300
         "ill", "reserves", "fines", renew books"
3. Jobs - 160
         "library jobs", "jobs", "employment"
4. Specific Subjects - 135
         "medicine", "native Americans", "economics"
5. Style Manuals - 105
         "APA style", "Chicago style guide"
6. Specific Print Resources - 100
         "OED", "newspapers", "dispatch"