[WEB4LIB] Booklend??

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Mon Mar 25 10:38:59 EST 2002

As the original "sulker" on this topic, I'm still at a loss at what we are
supposed to learn from this personal attempt at ILL.  If I had seen
something truly original or instructive in the idea, I wouldn't have
posted any comments about it. But I didn't see anything in his process
that I would want to replicate in any ILL process.  My goal wasn't to bash
on his project or him personally but to express my frustration that this
is something that libraries, in my experience, already do and do much
better.

Maybe my experience with online ILL is not the norm. In our system, once I
locate the title I want, it's fairly simple to request the title through
the cooperative.  It's a very popular feature with our patrons and our
only failing, in my opinion, is that we don't advertise its availablity as
much as I think we should. This is in DRA's Web2 system, which is hardly
on the cutting-edge of new technology. I would expect the experience would
be even easier in more advanced systems. But perhaps our patrons see it
another way?

I'm open to any ideas that can be learned from Booklend. If you have any
share, please do so.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library