myLibrary

Jimmy Ghaphery jsghaphe at vcu.edu
Thu Mar 14 16:29:43 EST 2002

Just to add to the chatter, from another early adopter in the My
Library arena.

This week I have been pawing through some of our My Library log files.
In general I am seeing the same patterns that were reported from the
first years of use, where the lion's share of activity is attributable
a small percentage of the registered users. The initial report was part
of the ITAL issue that others have altready cited
http://www.lita.org/ital/ital1904.html

I hope to get our recent data together for a follow-up of some kind.

One of the pieces that I see as still evolving is the level of
integration with all library digital services. That is, can I access my
favorite databases, interlibrary loan requests, borrowing record,
renewals, fine payment, remote authentication, new books, toc alerts,
etc. all through a single login (did someone say privacy issues)?

Here I am especially curious about how one might best leverage the ILS
for fielding this type of library personalization.

About public libraries and this stuff....check out BraryDog,
from the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County.

They even have their own rap song!
http://www.brarydog.net/

rap on.

Jimmy Ghaphery
VCU Libraries

> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:49:52 -0500
> From: Rick Silterra <enrico.silterra at acm.org>
> To: web4lib at webjunction.org
> Subject: myLibrary
>
> A couple of years ago there was some interest in library web
customization
for
> individuals based on their
>
> 1) expressed preferences.
> 2) inferred preferences based on behavior.
>
> How successful have such myLibrary systems been -- how widely are they
in
use?