[WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape plugins/K-Meleon question

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Mar 14 12:48:28 EST 2002

John,

Although the home page doesn't show much activity, development continues
on the K-Meleon browser.  We are currently beta testing our 0.6.5 build
which incorporates all the Mozilla code updates through 0.9.9.

Among the new and improved features you'll see in the next release are:

* Improved frames functionality (view source, open frame in new window)
* Print Preview
* FTP support
* Improved security and privacy options
* Additional macro options
* Much improved bookmark functionality
* K-Meleon and Mozilla bug fixes

Additionally, our great user community has been cranking our translations
for various languages as well as numerous toolbar/menu graphics so you can
make your version of K-Meleon look like everything from Netscape 4 to IE6
to Opera(!).  We don't have a set release date but I'll make sure to
announce it as soon as we have a better handle on when it will be coming
out.

I'll also be revising my K-Meleon "Kiosk mode" tutorial with the new
release. For those who haven't seen it, it's a 6-step guide to creating a
browser that is as close to "patron-proof" as you'll find. It's perfect
for web OPACs and other "kiosk" applications.  See:

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/mozilla/kkiosk.htm

Thanks for asking!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician