[WEB4LIB] Deep Linking

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Mar 6 14:54:11 EST 2002

At 01:49 PM 3/6/2002, Yvonne Reynolds wrote:
>One disadvantage of deep linking which the AlertBox article does not
>mention, is that one is locked into a  site design.  If you redesign your
>site and move pages- all those deep links are not going to work and you
>will have a lot of unhappy people thinking your site has closed down.

First, site redesign does not equate to changing URLs and breaking
links.  If it does, though, there are good rules for how to move URLs in
the friendliest way possible.  Remember, you're not just hosing the links
from some other site, but also any users' bookmarks, links from search
engines, and so forth.  I stand by my assertion that it takes 24 months to
move a URL smoothly.  If you're scrambling your site more often than
that...well, you shouldn't be.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu