[WEB4LIB] Re: CIPA Backlash

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Sat Jun 8 11:37:26 EDT 2002

	While our library has never filtered adult access, we've had our share of
controversy over filtering. (In reality, if myself and the good folks in IT
had our way we wouldn't filter at all.) Actually we've had more than our
share, we've had your share and her share and his share... well we've had a
lot. We had one community library in a neighbouring town threaten to pull the
library from their town, that is until they found out that the books belong to
the main branch and they couldn't keep them. I'm going to make sure they get
copies of the e-mails from this thread and I suggest others do the same, even
if, like us, you don't filter adult access. Sooner or later some moralistic
crusading yo-yo group is going to start a ruckus, and this is some very
powerful ammunition to use against them.
	I've been very impressed by the backlash that this court ruling has
unleashed. Even if only a few libraries stop filtering adult access because of
this, it's a decent victory for the First Amendment. Like Hunter Thompson
said, "On some days you get what you want, on others, you get what you need."

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrl.org
509-452-8541 ext 761
102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                                         -Hunter S. Thompson
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.
                                         -Benny Hill