[WEB4LIB] RE: FBI to monitor libraries

Mark Wright markfwright at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 4 15:06:03 EDT 2002

>Common sense = paying attention to suspicious BEHAVIOR.
>Profiling = targeting some PEOPLE as suspicious.

Yes, and using common sense while profiling means paying attention to
certain TYPES of people when their BEHAVIOR is suspicious. I'm really not a
racist or against all people of Arabic ethnicity. I'm just trying to counter
the knee-jerk reaction that too many librarians have that we should ignore
all suspicious behavior in libraries because it's none of our business. Some
people do take their suspicions overboard and end up treating all Arabic
people differently. I'm not advocating that. But there are some behaviors
that are more suspicious when undertaken by a group of Arabic men than when
undertaken by any other ethnic group. Sad, but true. Profiling is always
ugly, but the threat we face we FAR uglier.

Mark Wright