[WEB4LIB] RE: FBI to monitor libraries

GRAY, PAUL PAUL.GRAY at tccd.net
Tue Jun 4 14:17:37 EDT 2002

OK - I promised myself and others I wouldn't get back into this - but ---
Couple of things -
Singling someone out for special restrictions or whatever based SOLELY on their appearance or race etc -- is just plain wrong -- we are a nation of immigrants - it is that diversity and the freedom to be who we are that sets this nation apart.
It's also useless - for reasons already mentioned by others.

And even if it wasn't --
librarians and library staff members are not law enforcement officers and should not be placed in that role.  As long as a patron meets whatever requirements are set for use of a facility and is using the facility within the guidelines set they should not be treated any differently than anyone else -- PERIOD.

Having said that --
If duly authorized law enforcement officers make a legal request for all the information we have on EVERY occasion when someone checked out - Suicide Bombing for Dummies  - or visited poisonsrus.com -- etc --
I have no reluctance at all in turning that information over to them - and indeed consider it my responsibility as a citizen.

Whether we should have those records in the first place is a whole different issue - and has been debated ad nauseum.

Remember too - that we as citizens through our elected representatives and the judiciary they appoint determine what is a LEGAL request - keeping the delicate balance between security and the protection of our 4th amemdment rights.

IN short -- let librarians be librarians and let police be police - let both do their jobs.

PHG
Hurst, TX