[WEB4LIB] RE: Advice on Linux

josh josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us
Tue Jun 4 11:59:37 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 07:37:00AM -0700, Thomas Dowling wrote:
> At 10:13 AM 6/4/2002, Cantona, Eric wrote:
> > >Let's make it a list discussion - Linux can be very >useful to web-slinging
> >librarians :)
> >
> >Agreed.  Apache+Linux is an unstoppable web server.  More features and
> >better performance than IIS+2000 but without the tragic security and
> >reliability flaws.
> >
> >And of course, total cost = $0.00
>

> And yet, mind-bogglingly*, the percentage of libraries running their web
> sites on Win32/IIS continues to climb.  From the most recent Libweb crawl:
>
>    6371 total servers:
>      2555 Apache Servers (40.1%)
>      2563 Microsoft Servers (40.22%)
>      497 Netscape/IPlanet Servers (7.8%)
>      799 Other Servers (12.54%)
>
> IMO, that's 2563 libraries that either make bad decisions or allow bad
> decisions to be made for them.  (Then there's the 68 libraries still
> running CERN or NCSA servers, who don't make decisions at all.)

Did you make it a point to subtract out everyone who recieved the free
donation of the server along with support if they agreed to run a
preinstalled operating system. I mean it would be unfair to compare a
zero hardware and software cost Gates Foundation Setup except to a
zero hardware and software cost Linux Setup. Frankly, I'm surprised
given all the NT Servers the Gates Foundation has given away that the
numbers aren't way more skewed toward those servers. My guess is that
there are a ton of libraries who just aren't comfortable getting out
onto the net period.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us