[WEB4LIB] RE: Advice on Linux

D. Keith Higgs dkh2 at po.cwru.edu
Tue Jun 4 08:10:09 EDT 2002

Actually, any of the Linux boot loaders should allow you to multi-boot
not only multiple Linux installations but also any version of Windows.
The one thing to remember is that the boot code for all installations
must reside within the first 1024 cylinders of your physical drive.

You will want to choose one boot manager for all of your installations
and manage it from only one of those installations. Thus, if I install
Windows 2000 and both Red Hat and Suse, and I choose to use Grub as my
boot manager I would probably manage my boot menu from within the Red
Hat installation.

One tip on multi-booting Linux with Windows: If you can manage to
install your Windows system on a FAT32 partition you will be able to
make use of WINE to run most (if not all) of your WIN32 programs from
within Linux. Hard core users who are security freaks will scream about
the security holes in Windows on FAT32 but, they only exist through
Windows if you actually boot up Windows. (I'm going to have to brush my
teeth after using the 'W' word so many times.) ;-)

One other thing to keep around would be a Windows 95/98 bootable disk
with the MS version of fdisk.  Not that you ever would but, if you ever
decide to make that box a Windows only system you will need to boot to
that disk and run "fdisk /mbr" to reset the Master Boot Record and
remove the Linux boot loader code.

Keith
D. Keith Higgs <mailto:dkh2 at po.cwru.edu>
 Case Western Reserve University