[WEB4LIB] Quotation stumper

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Mon Jun 3 21:19:04 EDT 2002

I'm with Bernie on this one! The racism quote in particular seems to get
the largest amount of press from folks perpetuating what may not even be a
real quote by trying to prove it exists! :-)

http://www.cuis.edu/ftp/STUMPERS-L/STUMPERS-L.1998-11

Definitely has stumped the folks at stumpers ...

Generally, I have had amazing success with verifying quotations. I'm
working on a book in which I use quotations to introduce sections. Being
compulsive <g>, I of course couldn't just take someone else's word for it,
I had to verify each and every blasted snippet or find a new one that fit.
There was one quote from Ursula LeGuin that took me weeks to verify
(turned out to be in a speech she gave at Bryn Mawr), and I almost wrote
and asked her! I am extremely fond of:

  http://quotations.bartleby.com

Which wasn't much help with these, but was with the LeGuin quote! I also
(and am sure you already tried this) play with various combinations of
words in various search engines using phrase grouping as appropriate.

Good luck!

Pat Anderson, pfa at umich.edu