[WEB4LIB] RE: FBI to monitor libraries

Cantona, Eric ECantona at plcmc.org
Mon Jun 3 10:44:35 EDT 2002

Andrew,
	I agree with some of what you say and I think it's a worthwhile
discussion for all.

	I don't think anyone advocates treating a patron as a criminal nor
do I believe that a failure to provide electronic privacy results in such
treatment.

	The postal analogy doesn't quite fit because a post office, where
only postal employees have access to the mail prior to delivery, is unlike
the internet where countless parties could access electronic information
using countless opportunities. A library techie could prevent some but
certainly not all of this all of the time.

	So, I really want to avoid the topic of criminal intent or whether
or not a patron has something to hide.  Neither is necessary to result in
vulnerability.  I'm more interested in whether an expectation of privacy
could be possible and whether we as library staff could possibly guarantee
it or even "lean on the assumption of privacy".

	If not, then does the statement, "*Anyone* should have a reasonable
expectation of
privacy for *anything* they do in a library", as another member put it,
really hold water in the Internet Age?

	The Supreme Court has ruled recently I believe (badly paraphrasing
here) that a search warrant is not required  where a reasonable expectation
of privacy does not exist so I believe this issue to be more complicated
than we'd like.
EC