[WEB4LIB] Re: In search of: registry tool for "locking down" computers

Charles P. Hobbs chhobbs at cdrewu.edu
Mon Jul 29 15:49:03 EDT 2002

Andrew Mutch wrote:

>Charles,
>
>Many of the third-party security programs out there are glorified registry editors with a good GUI.
>Most also include some additional bells and whistles and tools added on to justify paying for them.
>A few questions come to mind:
>
>1) How much do you want to pay?

Free would be nice...:-) Realistically, around $50, with $100-120 as the
absolute upper limit.
(of course, if we're talking about per-seat licensing, things might get
expensive anyway...)

>2) How technically savvy is the person or people who are going to maintain the security software?

We plan to hire a lab attendant who should be comfortable enough with
the computers in
order to use this program. Of course, I'll be around (as well as the
I.T. dept) in case extra
help is needed...The program in question should be much simpler than
actually manipulating
the registry w/RegEdit...

>3) What OS do you need to secure?

Win 2000

>4) How much staff interaction or support is going to be needed on the computers?

Probably very little, once we get them running. Only when a new software
program is offered, then the settings will need to be updated.

>5) Are the computers all on one site or will they need to be maintained remotely?

They'll be all in one room (computer lab)

>6) Is your goal to lock down the computer as tight as possible or just ensure that things don't get
>changed so staff don't have to become computer troubleshooters?

Primarily to keep people from running outside programs, browsing the
network, and to hide
certain drives (such as C: ) from the casual user.

>7) Do you just need to lock down the OS or do you need to lock down programs too?
>8) Are you just looking to lockdown PCs or are you interested in a more complete access management
>system that can handle filtering, printing, computer sign-up, etc.?

No, just locking down the PC as described above.

--
Charles P. Hobbs
King Drew Health Science Library