[WEB4LIB] RE: Vendors Who Borrow from One Another

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Mon Jul 29 13:23:00 EDT 2002

Well, OpenURL was developed initially by SFX, who is now the primary
force behind its acceptance from NISO as a standard.  I imagine that
Endeavor grabbed SFX's list.

However, given that OpenURL is coming into its own, I think SFX should
start distancing itself from the standard. It is no longer just SFX's
product, but rather a standard that is being used by both SFX and
Encompass.  Virtually all documentation related to OpenURL is on SFX's
site; NISO does have some info, but it is primarily related to the
acceptance process.

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-1698
http://www.swmed.edu/library/

>>> "Drew, Bill" <drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU> 7/29/02 12:10:28 PM >>>
The real question is now:

Which came first, ExLibris or Endeavor?

which one laid the rotten egg?

I know that SFX has been available for a quite awhile.

Bill Drew