[WEB4LIB] Re: style switcher

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jul 17 17:28:53 EDT 2002

At 05:13 PM 7/17/2002, Nancy Sosna Bohm wrote:
>Kevin,
>I tried using  the link/import bug first, but ran into the issue of Netscape
>on PC displaying larger fonts than IE on PC, and the reverse on Mac. Do you
>code for Mac? If yes, how do you allow for that discrepancy when using the
>@import for IE and link rel for NS?

Different users' fonts probably also display larger on a 19" monitor than
on a 17" monitor, or when the operating system calculates 80ppi than when
it calculates 100ppi, or when their browser enforces a minimum font size of
9pt instead of 8pt...

What purpose is served by trying to exert such rigid control over the
user's font size?  Assume that the default is a comfortable reading size
for the user, and if you want to suggest larger and smaller sizes in
specific contexts, stick to a range of about 85% to 120%.  Say out loud,
"I'm going to set my users' default font size to either 'small' or 'extra
small' and the most commonly used browser won't let them change it," and
see how it sounds.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu