[WEB4LIB] Re: Privacy, the USA Patriot Act, electronic fingerprinting to replace library cards etc.

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Tue Jul 30 14:05:39 EDT 2002

Tuesday, July 30, 2002, 8:47:49 AM, you wrote:

PBW> Dan Lester Wrote:

PBW> "Any library circulation system I've heard of breaks the link between
PBW> borrower and item as soon as the item is returned and any delinquencies
PBW> (fines, etc.) cleared up."

PBW> Dan there are a couple of current GUI automation systems, and at least
PBW> one much older text based system, that maintain a borrower's history.
PBW> Sometimes the feature can be turned on and off for individual patrons.
PBW> Sometimes it's a system wide feature. At least one system keeps a
PBW> borrower history of all fines levied and paid and what items caused them
PBW> to be generated.

I'm aware that some systems have such features, but you can be sure
that I'd never buy one without the ability to turn off such features.
I want to know who you are if you have books out, if you owe me for
books (so I can remind you of what books you had overdue, what books
you lost, etc.), but feel no obligation to be able to tell you what
books you paid for last year.

Some of that sounds like somebody's creeping featurism because some
bozo library administrator wanted to know something once. I once had
someone in another library want a complex analysis of circulation by
day of week, by time of day, by class number, and by size of book. It
could theoretically have been done, but was purest nonsense.  Why did
he want it?  Because "it would be interesting to know whether certain
call numbers go out more on certain days, and whether certain sizes of
books go out more frequently at certain times of the days".
Interesting to him, maybe, for unknown reasons, but certainly not in
any way useful for management of the library or producing any
advancement of knowledge.

PBW> I agree with Karen Harker that library folk tend to have a false sense
PBW> of security regarding the computer privacy. Backups, system logs,
PBW> firewall logs, Internet sign up sheets, computer reservation systems,
PBW> browser histories, ISP logs, etc. can be used together or separately to
PBW> pierce the thin curtain of privacy.

True.  However, the vast majority of patrons don't know or care about
the privacy.  Many of them would willingly relinquish it, assuming
they knew they had it.  We've all faced the irate patron who wants to
know who has a certain book out so they can "go borrow it for a few
minutes to copy a page".

PBW> How many libraries today have
PBW> security cameras with attached video recorders watching Circulation
PBW> Desks or computer labs?

We have one on our entrance/exit.  It has already helped to catch an
offender***.  If I don't have any "video security privacy" on the
convenience store or the bank, why should the library be any
different?  The one in those other places could show what kind of beer
I bought or how much money I got at the bank.  The one at the library
entrance wouldn't show anything about what I read, viewed, or did in
the library.

***Have only had it three months.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA