Mozilla/Netscape 7.0 -- Students

Joyce M. Latham latham1 at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 24 22:09:38 EDT 2002

We are all learning here:

Students are reporting a problem with their code in testing against
Mozilla and Netscape (new):  I've included the Mozilla message I
received; I've looked at their code with them, and it looks alright to
me but then, ... well ...

The issue with the new Netscape is that it blows up altogether.  They
have a menu on the left of their page which is all that displays.
Earlier version of Netscape display it just fine.

Any thoughts would be, as always, appreciated:

Joyce,

We keep running into problems with Mozilla.  After some serious testing,
trying different things, we are positive that it is a problem with
Mozilla
itself and not with our code.  The problem seems to specifically be with
comments <!-- -->.  Mozilla is having various issues with the comments
i.e. it does NOT read comments properly in all instances.

If you have Mozilla up, try going to:

http://leep.lis.uiuc.edu/seworkspace/HCD/

The source code looks as if one of the tags isn't bracketed ( <-- )
properly, however, view the same source code in one of the other three
main browsers and it does NOT look like that.

We've tried taking out the comments and the page works just fine.  We've
reformatted the comments in various different ways and everytime Mozilla
has an issue with them.  We greatly desire to keep these comments in our
code.  I have a suspicion that there is a conflict in the source code
somewhere that gets buggy when comments are placed in context with
certain
commands.