privacy screens

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Jul 24 17:54:07 EDT 2002

I hope that anyone who is getting privacy screens will be sure to
leave some of your computers without them.  There are several reasons
for this.

First, and most important to me at least, I've yet to see
one that doesn't so dim the screen and blur the content that it
doesn't make it almost unreadable to my aging and surgically
repaired eyes.  The same goes for various screens that are purported
to reduce glare instead of, or in addition to, enhancing privacy.

Second, and important in many settings, those that really do reduce
the angle of vision also eliminate small groups working on the same
computer, whether in a classroom or a library environment.

Third, the privacy screens make it almost impossible to assist a
patron with what s/he is doing on the computer unless you and the
patron are willing to be quite friendly, practically "dancing cheek to
cheek".

Finally, the same factors relate to various mechanisms that allow you
to recess the computer monitor under the desk or table top.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115  USA