[WEB4LIB] Re: Popups

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Wed Jul 24 11:21:30 EDT 2002

Thomas Dowling <tdowling at ohiolink.edu> said:

> At 04:26 PM 7/23/2002 -0700, Daniel Messer wrote:
> >... Or, my personal
> >favourite is to use Mozilla 1.0. It has an option that you can set to not
> >launch any pop ups which were not specifically requested by a mouse click.
> >Very nice. :)
>
> Until you run Netscape 7.0PR1, which not only doesn't have this option, but
> silently resets it in Mozilla.  AOLTW has to keep the popup ad revenues
> flowing, I guess.
>
> Opera also has an option to disable popups, though its option also disables
> creating new windows through link targets.

	I did not know that! It's kind of sad to see what Netscape has become. I use
Opera at home almost exclusively and the "feature" you speak of is really the
only peeve I have about the browser. I hope Opera fixes this soon because it
was a great idea that got half baked. It should work like it does in Mozilla
1.0, but oh well, I can wait.
	In its defense though, Opera at least offers the option of opening up new
windows within the browser "desktop." That's one of the things that makes it
so fast, because it's merely spawning another browser window, and NOT another
browser proper.

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrl.org
509-452-8541 ext 761
102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                                         -Hunter S. Thompson
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.
                                         -Benny Hill