[WEB4LIB] Scandisk problem

Jodi Thomson jodi at waikato.ac.nz
Tue Jul 16 17:08:46 EDT 2002

This problem can occur for many reasons. Off the top of my head some are:
- The FAT (File Allocation Table) could be partly corrupt
- The drive partitioning could be partly corrupt
- The drive itself could be on its way out
- The drive may be too full (rare occurance but less than 5% space has been
known to cause this)

The fact that it appears to be having problems with the directory structure
when running Scandisk in DOS mode would indicate to me that it is one of the
first two options I listed above.
You could try running a recovery program such as Spinrite which will do a
low-level disk check/format/recovery. This is non-destructive and can be
successful in cases such as this. However in my experience the best way is
to FDISK the drive and rebuild the system.

Regards
Jodi
Jodi W. Anderson (Mr) A+, MCP - Computer Systems Consultant
Waikato University Library - Computing Operations Group
Ph: +64 7 838 4323
email: jodi at waikato.ac.nz

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've
forgotten this before."