[WEB4LIB] Customizing vendor-supplied interfaces

Joyce M. Latham latham1 at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 16 15:01:37 EDT 2002

Jerry,
I'm not sure it's been around all that long ... vendors pretty much
copped out on interface design with the arrival of the web and it's quik
n' dirty search button.  It's an issue that I think we really need to
hammer on, however; if the vendors want us to do our own interface
design, they need to support the versions we develop.
The arrival of the web has distracted many library technologists from
the issues around our ILS, yet it is by far the most expensive single
system in the library.  Extensive research conducted in the 80s has been
basically ignored, but we continue to shell out big bucks while settling
for an inferior product.
Sooner or later, we have to hold their feet to the fire.
Joyce Latham
GSLIS

--
Joyce M. Latham
GSLIS -- University of Illinois

   "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people; there is
only     enlightened activity."  Suzuki Roshi