[WEB4LIB] RE: The Wireless Future of Library Computing

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Tue Jul 16 14:30:01 EDT 2002

Friday, July 12, 2002, 9:09:53 AM, you wrote:

DB> Can be cheaper than wired.

Maybe in some situations, but only if complex cable routing, drilling,
etc, are necessary for installation.

DB> Fast installation.

Again, no faster unless problems as noted above.

DB> Greater productivity and service.

I don't understand this one.

DB> U.S. - twice as many wireless devices as PCs (Forrester Research).

Well, yes, if this includes cellphones and such.  But that's an apples
and oranges comparison.

DB> Access networked resources at  meetings.

Or do that wired too if set up for it, and either requires room setup.

DB> Enhance experience of users in study groups.

That too doesn't require wireless if you have wired study rooms, as we
do.  They're also wireless accessible.

DB> Provide printing from anywhere in the library.

We don't provide printing from network jacks or wireless, and
certainly don't plan to.

DB> Wireless devices for OPAC queries and other access.

At this point, I think that someone who can't get the 150 feet to the
nearest terminal needs to learn how to move.

DB> Bar coding and other scanning (shelf reading, inventory).

Can do that with a booktruck and laptop anyway, as those don't really
need interactivity, though it can be nice.

DB> Allow reference staff to roam with access to network and library resources.

All that assumes they'll either lug a laptop or that displays on PDAs
are worth reading, are usable, etc.

DB> Circulate laptops / PDAs with wireless.

No thanks.  We don't circulate any hardware, don't want to get into
that business.  We let computer labs and Student Union do that.  We do
software, they do hardware.

Note once again, I'm not opposed to any of these things.  I just think
we need to not sound too much like car salesmen or Ron Popeil.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA