[WEB4LIB] re: help (addidas-net or sneaker-net)

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Jul 15 09:52:34 EDT 2002

At 09:42 AM 7/15/2002, GRAY, PAUL wrote:
>NEVER  - 'enough silliness'
>No one ever started a war - being silly (foolish yes - silly no) --
>It's the 'sane' 'sober' 'serious' people that scare me.
>PHG

Well then, the authoritative silly reference on the topic:

sneakernet /snee'ker-net/ n.

Term used (generally with ironic intent) for transfer of electronic
information by physically carrying tape, disks, or some other media from
one machine to another. "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
wagon filled with magtape, or a 747 filled with CD-ROMs." Also called
`Tennis-Net', `Armpit-Net', `Floppy-Net' or `Shoenet'; in the 1990s, `Nike
network' after a well-known sneaker brand.

<http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/sneakernet.html>

Thomas Dowling Bong (Slightly Silly)
tdowling at ohiolink.edu