[WEB4LIB] RE: The Wireless Future of Library Computing

Dan Marmion dmarmion at nd.edu
Fri Jul 12 11:17:36 EDT 2002

I agree with Andrew that it's good we have people like Bill Drew pusing the
envelope, but I need to take Bill to task just a little bit.  The session
he referred to was the Top Technology Trends session that LITA sponsors
every ALA Annual.  For those of you who haven't attended one, a group of
fairly well-known people who spend much of their time working with and
thinking about information technology in libraries talk briefly about
topics of their choice.  In general, the idea is to give the audience their
insights as to what we should be paying attention to and what we can wait a
little while and see what develops.

At this particular session, one of the speakers (I'll let him identify
himself if he so chooses) talked about, among other things, the convenience
of wireless and how it has potential to take on much greater importance in
libraries.  But, he added, he didn't see the ability to search an OPAC via
a cell phone as something that would appeal to a large number of people.

Now, is that proof that the LITA experts fail to understand wireless?  I
don't think so.

Dan Marmion

Daniel Keith Marmion            email: dmarmion at nd.edu
Assoc. Dir. for Information Systems and Digital Access
University Libraries of Notre Dame   http://lib.nd.edu
221 Hesburgh Library, Notre Dame, Indiana   46556-5629
voice: (574) 631-3811              fax: (574) 631-6772
Editor: _Information Technology and Libraries_  (LITA)