[WEB4LIB] WEB4LIB digest 2681

Fiona Mcgregor Mcgreg2F at wcc.govt.nz
Wed Jul 10 19:06:50 EDT 2002

Until recently, we disabled access to those which were "good" (ie. less than
$5 owing) via a daily process of preparing & uploading to our webserver a
plain text file of card details, which our authentication (perl) scripts run
against.
Our scripts check a library card's PIN prefix and re-route library card
numbers with "corporate borrower type" to a separate login page and deny
access to out-of-town library cards who aren't able to access databases such
as EBSCO.  We still run the same checks, but the file now includes all card
numbers, not only those that are "good", because of a change in library
policies and procedures.

It's not the best system, because it means there's a delay before customers
can remotely access our 3rd party databases, but it does mean that we can
control access reasonably well.  If you want further details, I'm happy to
provide them.
cheers
fiona mcgregor
Fiona McGregor
Technology Coach/Webmistress
Wellington City Libraries
P O Box 1992
Wellington
New Zealand
Web http://www.wcl.govt.nz
Web catalogue http://www.wcl.govt.nz/catalogue/index.html
E-city - for thousands of full text magazines & newspapers
http://www.e-city.co.nz