[WEB4LIB] FW: Re: To blog, to chat, to message board, that is the

Edward Spodick, HKUST Library, 2358-6743 lbspodic at ust.hk
Mon Jan 21 20:25:34 EST 2002

At 9:56 AM -0800 18/1/2002 [their time], Kevil, L H. wrote:
>OK, gang, now that this topic has been breached, could I ask for
>recommendations regarding message board software suitable for our library's
>web users group? Anything goes, from FrontPage Discussion Webs to
>sophisticated boards like the Anandtech Community or the OCWorkbench forums,
>provided it works well for you.  TIA,

One possibility is "Gossamer Forum" from Gossamer Threads
http://gossamer-threads.com/scripts/gforum/  It's uses Perl and an SQL database.

I use another product of theirs for some small projects, and their online support forum is excellent (and now running the above forum software).  As an academic institution, I think the licensing fees would be waived for you
(http://gossamer-threads.com/scripts/gforum/license.htm).

There are loads of other forum products out there as well.

-Spode

- - - - -
Edward F Spodick, Systems Librarian - lbspodic at ust.hk
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Library
tel:  852-2358-6743     fax:  852-2358-1043