linking with XML

Info Galway Library info at galwaylibrary.ie
Mon Jan 21 09:17:04 EST 2002

Hi,

I have read a little about creating links with XML. One aspect of this
puzzles me. With XML, your links can be stored in a seperate document called
a 'linkbase'. When my web page is opened, the linkbase is loaded. A user can
follow a link from my page to, for example, a Library of Congress web page.
My linkbase can define a link from the Library of Congress web page back to
my own page something that could never be done with HTML.

Here I see a difficulty. When the Library of Congress web page is opened, a
linkbase for that page is, presumably, opened. Is this linkbase appended to
the original? If the user follows a link from the Library of Congress page
to a British Library web page and then returns from that page to the Library
of Congress page by following a link created by the staff of the Library of
Congress and defined in their linkbase, will my link remain visible. In
other words, will the user see a link from the Library of Congress page back
to my page or has my linkbase, by now, been discarded?

Are linkbases amalgamated as you browse? Is there a limit on how large the
linkbase can become?

Just wondering

Regards
John Fitzgibbon