[WEB4LIB] Circulating laptop computers

Charles P. Hobbs chhobbs at cdrewu.edu
Fri Jan 11 14:16:59 EST 2002

Sara Brownmiller wrote:

> The University of Oregon Libraries is looking at whether to make laptop
> computers available for checkout to students and faculty.  I would be
> interested in hearing about other library's experiences with this.
>
> Possible questions include:
>
> Can laptops be checked out for use anywhere or is use limited to within
> the library?

We check out laptops and LCD projectors (2 of each) to all of our registered
users
(Charles R. Drew University students, faculty and staff as well as King/Drew
Medical Center staff)

> What software do you make available on the laptops?

Office 2000 (including Powerpoint, which is probably the most used)

> What procedures do you use to delete files, etc. left by patrons?  Do you
> ghost a new image before each circulation?

> Where do the laptops circulate from: circulation desk, reserve desk, media
> desk?

Circ Desk

> Who is responsible for routine and more advanced maintenace and
> troubleshooting?

Me, mostly. :-) For the most part it's showing new users how to connect the
projector to
the laptop and get a display. Occasionally, I'm called out when

Last year I took an (older)  laptop to the service center and also a projector
case to the luggage shop to
be repaired. Other than that, we've had no major problems with the equipment

> Have you had many problems with damage or loss?

Out and out loss, no. Occasionally we get someone who keeps it out too long
(overdue), in which case
that user is suspended from using the equipment for three weeks. (That's our
overdue policy with
books as well, we don't charge fines).

> Do you require patrons to sign a statement accepting financial
> responsbility for the laptop?

Yes.

> How has this service been received by your students and faculty?

The equipment is used at least several times a week, so I'd say it's been
received
very well.

--
Charles P. Hobbs