[WEB4LIB] IE's base font size upon install

Jon Solomon jsolomon at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 11 13:05:22 EST 2002

in my latest versions of IE (5.5 and 6), the default font is always set to
smallest, which is even worse in relation to your concerns.  in fact, even
if i close my browser (without shutting down), the font re-sets to
smallest.  the same is true if a new window is opened.  i'd love to know
how to fix this.

-- jon

At 09:35 AM 1/11/2002 -0800, Kevin W. Bishop wrote:

>Can anyone affirm whether Internet Explorer, any version, installs itself
>with "medium" or "smaller" as its base font size?
>
>I would think it would be "medium," but I've heard stories similar to my
>own situation where, upon launch, everything is usually rendered as
>"smaller".  Perhaps I adjusted the settings and closed it as "smaller" the
>first time I launched the app. and that changed the default settings?
>
>My concern is what might we expect from those who use IE and do not know
>how to adjust their font sizes ... at which font size are they most likely
>to see my web pages if they don't fiddle with their settings?
>
>Thanks.
>-kb

>Kevin W. Bishop
>Communication & Collaboration Technologies
>Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
><bishopk at rpi.edu> | <http://www.rpi.edu/rpinfo/>

<http://lib.berkeley.edu/~jsolomon>jon d.
<http://lib.berkeley.edu/~jsolomon>solomon