TopicMap Feature in HighWire

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Sat Jan 19 11:30:53 EST 2002

                       _TopicMap Feature in HighWire_

   I have learned that High Wire now offers Topic Map access

                     [   http://highwire.stanford.edu/ ]

    This option is accessible from a link in the center of the homepage

           Browse articles:
           Biological Sciences    Physical Sciences
           Medical Sciences    Social Sciences

            Browse using TopicMap, a graphical viewer

    An explanation (what's this?) is also available:

"TopicMap" is a special Java applet designed to help you navigate topics on HighWire in a graphical form. The intent is to give you a sense of context while navigating a large, tree-structured database.

When TopicMap is launched, it appears in a separate window. As it may take 60 seconds or more to load, you will want to keep this separate window open to avoid having to reload frequently.

When results are selected (by double-clicking on a topic with more than zero documents), the results show up in the original browser window from which TopicMap was launched. "

                      [ http://highwire.stanford.edu/help/hbt/ ]

TopicMap is based on the Hyperbolic Tree SDK for Java, licensed from Inxight Software, Inc.  [http://www.inxight.com/ ]

BTW: I speculated about the application of (another type of) Topic Maps in navigating e-journals in a posting nearly a year ago ! [Yes!]

   [ http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0102/0264.html ]

 I wish to thank Terry Bucknell , Electronic Resources Manager, Harold Cohen Library, University of Liverpool, for The Heads Up about the HighWire
Topic Map development!

     I believe that my colleagues will find TopicMaps in HighWire *quite* impressive. Give It a Try - t's the future of digital navigation! [:->]

     Regards,

/Gerry McKiernan
Topical Librarian
Iowa State University